Western Reserve, the name of a part of northeastern Ohio when the area belonged to Connecticut. In 1786 Connecticut ceded to the United States government its claim to western lands, but reserved for its own use the part that came to be called the Western Reserve. The reserve extended from 41º N. latitude to Lake Erie, and from Pennsylvania to just west of Sandusky, Ohio—an area of 5,940 square miles (15,385 km 2 ).
Connecticut gave about 780 square miles (2,020 km 2 ) of the reserve to Connecticut citizens who had suffered losses from British raids during the Revolutionary War. The rest of the land was sold to the Connecticut Land Company for promotion of settlements. In 1800 the reserve became Trumbull County, in the Northwest Territory. After Ohio became a state in 1803 Trumbull County was divided into 13 counties.