The Vietnam War claimed many lives, spurred protests and changed the lives of Vietnamese citizens. Test your knowledge with this HowStuffWorks quiz.
Author's Note: How Apartheid Worked
How Apartheid Worked was not, to understate it, an easy article to write. While the policy ended rather abruptly, the circumstances leading up to it spanned more than three centuries, somehow establishing a system of racial oppression that held up so long I clearly remember "End Apartheid" bumper stickers on cars in my hometown.
I would have liked to address more of the global context, as well as some of the particulars of the early master/servant laws that closely resembled those of the slavery and immediate post-slavery periods of the U.S. South -- the separation of black men from white women, for instance, and the legal use of punishments like whipping and food deprivation for petty "offenses."
But Apartheid is a tome, and I made choices, as writers must, many of which I still question. What I produced is, at best, an in-depth overview, and those looking for a complete, detailed map of the path to Apartheid along with its implementation, long-term effects on African culture, resistance leaders and ultimate demise would be well-served to visit South African History Online and South Africa: Overcoming Apartheid, sources I found to be invaluable in my research. In particular, you may want to explore the rise of the Black Consciousness movement, Mandela's leadership of the military arm of the National African Congress and the particulars of South Africa's post-Apartheid constitution.
- "1960: Scores die in Sharpeville shoot-out." On This Day – 21 March. BBC. (Nov. 26, 2012) http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/21/newsid_2653000/2653405.stm
- "1994: Mandela becomes S.A.'s first black president." On This Day – 10 May. BBC. (Nov. 28, 2012) http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/10/newsid_2661000/2661503.stm
- "Apartheid Timeline." United Nations Cyber School Bus. (Nov. 17, 2012) http://www.un.org/Pubs/CyberSchoolBus/discrim/race_b_at_print.asp
- "A Summary of Apartheid's History." Oral History Education (OHE). (Nov. 17, 2012) http://oralhistoryeducation.com/aparthied-stories
- "Biography: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela." Nobel Prize. (Nov. 19, 2012) http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1993/mandela-bio.html
- "Black Consciousness Movement." South African History Online (SAHO). (Nov. 18, 2012) http://www.sahistory.org.za/20th-century-south-africa/black-consciousness-movement
- Byrnes, Rita M, ed. "Steve Biko and SASO." South Africa: A Country Study. Washington: GPO for the Library of Congress, 1996. Internet: http://countrystudies.us/south-africa/ (Nov. 28, 2012)
- "Classic Banned Books." Classic Penguin. Sept. 28, 2012. (Nov. 19, 2012) http://classicpenguin.tumblr.com/post/32457258239/classic-banned-books-in-honor-of-next-weeks
- "Congress of Racial Equality." Britannica. (Nov. 20, 2012) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/488122/Congress-of-Racial-Equality-CORE
- "The Cabinet Papers: Immigration controls." The National Archives. (Nov. 20, 2012) http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/themes/immigration-controls.htm
- "General South African History Timeline: 1600s." South African History Online (SAHO). (Nov. 21, 2012) http://www.sahistory.org.za/article/1600s
- "Liberation Struggle in South Africa." South African History Online (SAHO). (Nov. 19, 2012) http://www.sahistory.org.za/liberation-struggle-south-africa/constructing-union-south-africa-negotiations-and-contestations-1902
- Linder, Douglas O. "The Nelson Mandela (Rivonia) Trial: An Account." Famous Trials. UMKC School of Law. (Nov. 26, 2012) http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mandela/mandelaaccount.html
- "Mandela and Apartheid." CBS News. (Nov. 24, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2005/03/10/in_depth_world/timeline679375.shtml
- "Mohandas Gandhi (1869 - 1948)." BBC History. (Nov. 19, 2012) http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/gandhi_mohandas.shtml
- "Pan Africanist Congress." South African History Online. (Nov. 28, 2012) http://www.sahistory.org.za/topic/pan-africanist-congress-pac
- Reporting Civil Rights. (Nov. 20, 2012) http://reportingcivilrights.loa.org/
- "The Road to Democracy in South Africa: Volume 1." South African Democracy Education Trust. Zebra, 2004. (Google Preview, accessed Nov. 19, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=FvROZAvpW-QC&ei=oZ2qUJWdBYmWkgTg8YG4Cg
- South Africa: Overcoming Apartheid - Michigan State University (MSU). (Nov. 17, 2012) http://overcomingapartheid.msu.edu/
- "Status of the Union Act." Encyclopedia Britannica. (Nov. 24, 2012) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/564265/Status-of-the-Union-Act
- Uys, Stanley. "Obituary: Helen Suzman." The Guardian. Jan. 1, 2009. (Nov. 19, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/01/helen-suzman
- Williamson, Thad. "A short history of the Dutch in South Africa, 1652-2010." Indy Week. July 11, 2010. (Nov. 19, 2012) http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoffense/archives/2010/07/08/a-short-history-of-the-dutch-in-south-africa-1652-2010