Fort Ticonderoga, a historic fort on the stream connecting Lake George and Lake Champlain in New York state. It is 90 miles (145 km) north-northeast of Albany. The stronghold had strategic importance during the French and Indian War and the American Revolution.
The fort was built by the French in 1755 and at first was called Fort Carillon. Here, in 1758, the Marquis de Montcalm and some 3,600 troops held off a force of 15,000 British and Colonials. In 1759 it was captured by the British under Jeffrey Amherst and renamed Ticonderoga.
On May 10, 1775, Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys, with Benedict Arnold, took the fort in a bloodless surprise attack. In 1777 it was retaken by the British under General Burgoyne. The Americans occupied it again after Burgoyne's defeat at Saratoga a short time later. The fort was rebuilt and restored to its original condition in 1909. Its museum is noted for its collection of colonial weapons, uniforms, paintings, and papers.