In 2011, a convict sued his former hostages for $235,000. According to the lawsuit, when fugitive murder suspect Jesse Dimmick broke into a newlywed couple's Kansas home in 2009, the couple promised to accept money from him in exchange for hiding him from the authorities who he claimed were actively giving him chase. After eating Cheetos, drinking Dr. Pepper and watching a movie, Dimmick fell asleep. At which point the couple made a hasty exit and contacted police.
Dimmick, who is representing himself in court, contends the couple reneged on the oral contract they allegedly made with him, so he's asking for money to cover his medical bills and other expenses. (Dimmick required treatment after an officer's firearm accidentally discharged during his capture and shot him in the back.) As of Nov. 28, 2011, the couple he held hostage had filed a motion to have the claim dismissed [source: Hrenchir].
- Antlfinger, Carrie. "Cat's 26 Toes Help Boost Milwaukee Animal Shelter." Dec. 9, 2011. (Dec. 13, 2011) Houston Chronicle. http://www.chron.com/news/article/Cat-s-26-toes-help-boost-Milwaukee-animal-shelter-2391294.php
- Flock, Elizabeth. "Phoenix Jones, Real-Life Superhero, Unmasked in Court." Oct. 14, 2011. (Dec. 9, 2011) The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/phoenix-jones-real-life-seattle-superherounmasked-in-court/2011/10/14/gIQA9X0ijL_blog.html
- Foy, Paul. "Utah Mayor Used Alias to Write Upbeat News Stories." Nov. 11, 2011. (Dec. 10, 2011) Houston Chronicle. http://www.chron.com/news/article/Utah-mayor-used-alias-to-write-upbeat-news-stories-2264370.php
- Hirschler, Ben. "Astronomers Discover Planet Made of Diamonds." Aug. 26, 2011. (Dec. 10, 2011) Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/26/us-planet-diamond-idUSTRE77O69A20110826
- Hrenchir, Tim. "Dimmick Sues Couple He Kidnapped." Nov. 28, 2011. (Dec. 9, 2011) Topeka Capital-Journal. http://cjonline.com/news/2011-11-28/dimmick-sues-couple-he-kidnapped#.TufvnWBrVJE
- Jakubek, Anna Maria. "Paris Cleans Lipstick Off Oscar Wilde Grave." Dec. 1, 2011. (Dec. 10, 2011) Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/01/us-france-wilde-idUSTRE7B00LJ20111201
- Martin, Jonathan. "Despite Arrest, Seattle Superhero Vows to Fight On." The Seattle Times. Oct. 13, 2011. (Dec. 15, 2011) http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016498236_phoenixjones14m.html
- Nelson, James. "Millions of Escaped Bees Shut Down Highway." Oct. 25, 2011. (Dec. 12, 2011) Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/25/us-bees-utah-odd-idUSTRE79O46A20111025
- Nestle. "Nestle Purina Launches TV Commercial to Capture Dogs' Attention." Sept. 30, 2011. (Dec. 10, 2011) http://www.nestle.com/Media/NewsAndFeatures/Pages/nestle_Purina_launches_TV_commercial_capture_dogs_attention.aspx
- Reuters. "Nestle Ad First to Pitch at Canine Customers." Sept. 30, 2011. (Dec. 9, 2011) http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/30/us-nestle-dogs-idUSTRE78T34A20110930
- Rudin, Ann. "Sugar Plum Fairy Fired in Missouri for Cursing." Nov. 14, 2011. (Dec. 10, 2011) USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/story/2011-11-14/sugar-plum-fairy-fired/51199386/1
- Vergano, Dan. "Never Mind the Archeologists: Here's The Sex Pistols." Nov. 22, 2011. (Dec. 10, 2011) USA Today. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2011/11/never-mind-the-archeologists-heres-the-sex-pistols/1
Hundreds of explorers tried to locate the Northwest Passage. Many of those attempts ended badly. HowStuffWorks looks at five.