Author's Note: How Betsy Ross Worked
What struck me most about the Betsy Ross story is the same thing that struck me when researching Pompeii — so much of history is skewed because we only know how rich people lived. The lives of poor or working-class people were rarely preserved. It becomes evident when you see how difficult it is to find information about Ross's life. We only know what we do know because the families themselves kept old letters and other records, and if Ross's legend hadn't risen to prominence relatively soon after her death, those would likely have been lost before anyone bothered to record them.
- Historic Philadelphia. "History of Betsy Ross." (Dec. 8, 2017) http://historicphiladelphia.org/betsy-ross-house/woman/
- Homer, Harlan H. "The American Flag." Proceedings of the New York State Historical Association, Vol. 14, 1915.
- Miller, Marla R. "Betsy Ross and the Making of America." Henry Holt and Company, 2010.
- Teachout, Woden. "Capture the Flag: A Political History of American Patriotism."
- Williams, Earl P. Jr. "Did Francis Hopkins Design Two Flags?" NAVA News, Oct.-Dec. 2012. (Dec. 6, 2017) http://www.flagguys.com/pdf/NAVANews_2012_no216.pdf