Cold War: Cheat Sheet
Stuff You Need to Know
- The U.S. and the U.S.S.R. fought the Cold War for 45 years. It consisted of covert action, proxy wars and a nearly-complete polarization between the two sides among the rest of the world.
- In 1991, the U.S.S.R collapsed suddenly and completely, becoming a number of independent countries and the Russian Federation.
- Those who credit the U.S. with the Soviet demise cite massive defense spending, the Star Wars program and the proxy war in Afghanistan for bleeding the U.S.S.R. financially.
- Others believe the U.S. prolonged the Cold War and that the U.S.S.R's demise was based on a sudden transition to a free market system that led to its economic collapse.
Now, test your knowledge with these quizzes!
- Fire Away! 'Star Wars' Missile Defense Quiz
- The Ultimate Fallout Shelter Quiz
- Alpha, Beta or Gamma? It's the Nuclear Radiation Quiz
- Wild World: Spy Quiz
- Spaced Out: Astronaut Quiz
Check out these image galleries!