The 1995 release of the Venona intercepts caused some to view McCarthy's legacy differently. Maybe he had, in fact, been a crusader against communism in a country that wasn't taking a tough enough approach. But most remember him as violating the civil liberties of too many innocent people -- and even some guilty people. He is still generally considered a reckless bully who used whatever means necessary to obtain the information he wanted. His actions certainly cost some of the accused their careers and livelihoods.
If nothing else, historians hope that others will learn from McCarthy's mistakes. When the Senate hearing transcripts were released in 1995, Senator Susan Collins said, "We hope that the excesses of McCarthyism will serve as a cautionary tale for future generations" [source: Frommer]. Only time will tell if that will be the case.
For more information about McCarthyism, take a look at the links below.
- How Communism Works
- How Brainwashing Works
- How Profiling Works
- How Spies Work
- How the CIA Works
- How the FBI Works
- How the Judicial System Works
- The Cold War: October 1951-1991
- Postwar Europe and Japan: October 1945-September 1951
- What exactly is Fascism?
- Do I have a "terrorist number" on file with Homeland Security?
More Great Links
- About Sociology. http://www.aboutsociology.com/sociology/McCarthyism
- Appleton History. http://www.apl.org/history/mccarthy/biography.html
- Atomic Archive. http://www.atomicarchive.com/Bios/Rosenberg.shtml
- BookRags. http://www.bookrags.com/Hollywood_blacklist
- Conservapedia. http://www.conservapedia.com/Joseph_McCarthy
- Cory, Kenneth L. Personal Interview. 1 Jan 2008. Retired American history teacher.
- Dean, John W. "Hearing transcripts invaluable after charges of 'new McCarthyism'." Cnn.com. 9 May 2003. http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/09/findlaw.analysis.dean.mccarthy/
- Evans, M. Stanton. "Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and his Fight Against America's Enemies." Crown Forum, 2007.
- Frommer, Frederic J. "Senate Unseals McCarthy Transcripts." Capper's. 27 May 2003.
- Goode, Stephen. "Coulter Exposes Lies of Liberalism." Insight on the News. 16 Sept 2003.
- Info U.S.A.. http://usinfo.state.gov/infousa/government/overview/60.html
- Joseph McCarthy: A Modern Tragedy. http://www.foxvalleyhistory.org/mccarthy/menu.htm
- Karl, Jonathan. "Senate releases McCarthy transcripts." Cnn.com. 5 May 2003. http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/05/05/mccarthy.hearings/
- Kiehr, Harvey. "Say it Ain't So, Joe; Senator McCarthy Wrong and Wright." The Weekly Standard. 24 July 2006.
- Novak, Robert D. "McCarthy=Bad; But the Truth is More Complicated (Book review)." The Weekly Standard. 26 Nov 2007.
- Ohio History Central. http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=496
- Peters, Charles. "McCarthyism: Myth and Reality." Washington Monthly. May 2006.
- Progressive.org. http://www.progressive.org/mccarthy
- Radosh, Ronald. "Please, Release Me! The Recent Disclosure of the McCarthy Transcripts is a Window Into a Misunderstood World." National Review. 2 June 2003.
- "Red Scare - Further Readings." 30 Dec 2007. http://law.jrank.org/pages/9705/Red-Scare.html
- Schwarz, Frederic D. "1954: The Demagogue's Downfall." American Heritage. Nov/Dec 2004.
- "Subversion." Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law. Merriam-Webster, Inc. 03 Jan. 2008. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Subversion
- Summary Central. http://summarycentral.tripod.com/thecrucible.htm
- The History Guide. http://www.historyguide.org/europe/lecture7.html
- The University of California at Berkeley, Media Resources Center. http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/blacklist.html
- U.S. History. http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1343.html
- U.S. Info.State.Gov. http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/oal/gloss.htm