One can only wish that James Annesley's story ends much more happily, but, alas, it concludes instead with his early death.
James Annesley was born to a wealthy family in Ireland in the early 18th century, to a vast amount of wealth and a noble title. His uncle Richard was determined to inherit James' wealth, and methodically dispensed of everything that stood between him and the family fortune, starting first with James' father -- Richard's own brother. Historians suspect that Richard poisoned his brother Arthur.
With Arthur Annesley out of the way, only James stood between Richard and the family entitlement. At the age of 12, James was kidnapped by men hired by his uncle and smuggled aboard a ship to America, where he was held as an indentured servant in Delaware for 12 years. At 25, he worked off his servitude, took a ship to Jamaica and eventually London, and set about restoring his identity and reclaiming his fortune from his uncle in the courts.
He died before he could, with his uncle still in control of the family wealth. Annesley had the last laugh, however. The decades of court cases dragged his uncle's reputation into the public sphere, where he was decried as a schemer, bigamist and scoundrel.
- 47 Ronins.com "The death of Kira."Accessed November 2, 2010.http://www.47ronins.com/the-death-of-kira.html
- Ayres, Chris. "Revenge is best served cold - on YouTube." Times UK.July 22, 2009.http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/chris_ayres/article6722407.ece
- Bioguide. "Burr, Aaron." U.S. Congress. Accessed November 2, 2010.http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=b001133
- Carroll, Dave. "Story." Accessed November 2, 2010.http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/ubg/story/
- CBS News. "Lorena Bobbitt, 15 years later." June 25, 2008.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/25/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main4207517.shtml
- Ciarcia-Levy, Joy. "Revenge is sweet, and it's everywhere." ABC News. February 1, 2007.http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2831618&page=1
- Farragher, Thomas. "Vengeance at Dachau." Boston Globe. July 2, 2001.http://graphics.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/secret_history/index5.shtml
- Henley, Jon. "Stranger than fiction: the true story behind Kidnapped." The Guardian. February 18, 2010.http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/18/kidnapped-stevenson-true-story-annesley
- Historic Valley Forge. "Major General Alexander Hamilton." U.S. History.org. Accessed November 2, 2010.http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/served/hamilton.html
- Indiana Supreme Court. "Anthony R. Stockelman vs. State of Indiana." June 20, 2007.http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/06200703rts.pdf
- Jennings, Richi. "Ralsky spam gang guilty; 24 years jail, $2,135,000 fine." Computerworld. June 24, 2009.http://blogs.computerworld.com/ralsky_spam_gang_guilty_24_years_jail_and_2_135_000_fine
- Kurth, Joel. "Junk e-mail foes target spam king." Detroit News. August 4, 2002.http://www.cmsconnect.com/News/CMSInPrint/DN-020804.htm
- Leyden, John. "How to automate a DoS attack using the post office."The Register. April 14, 2003.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04/14/how_to_automate_a_dos/
- Michigan State University. "CSI: East Lansing - science shows innocent man hanged in famous murder case." October 16, 2007.http://news.msu.edu/story/758/
- Oberhofer, Tom. "Paris and the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre: August 24, 1572." Eckerd College. Accessed November 2, 2010.http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/paris-siege-stbarth.htm
- The Oprah Winfrey Show. "Lorena Bobbitt's infamous crime." April 23, 2009.http://www.oprah.com/world/Lorena-Bobbitts-Unforgettable-Story/1
- Smith, Henry D. II. "Rethinking the story of the 47 Ronin."Columbia University. August 2003.http://www.columbia.edu/~hds2/47ronin/47ronin_rev.htm
- Zambroski, James. "Officials investigating after 10-year-old's killer gets prison tattoo on forehead: 'Katie's Revenge'." WAVE 3 News. Accessed November 2, 2010.http://www.wave3.com/story/5467204/officials-investigating-after-10-year-olds-killer-gets-prison-tattoo-on-forehead-katies-revenge?redirected=true
Magda Herzberger is 93 but was long silent about the horrors she witnessed during the Holocaust. HowStuffWorks spoke to her and tells her story.